Social Icons

Friday 9 January 2015

CES 2015: What It's Like to Explore The Avengers' Stark Tower in VR


At the same Samsung/Marvel event at CES 2015 where we spotted all sorts of rad future tech that’ll be in the new movie, as well as got a sneak peak at a few new clips from Age of Ultron, I got a chance to experience the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a way I never had before.
I popped on Samsung’s Gear VR, and after a little bit of adjustment (having glasses sucks sometimes, y’all)

, I suddenly found myself transported to the movies’ version of Avengers Tower née Stark Tower. My first-person avatar was firmly planted in his or her seat; I couldn’t stand up and explore every nook and cranny of the space. However, I had full freedom to look up, down, and in any 360 degree direction, which led to me literally spinning around on a sofa, wearing a magic robot mask, and probably making a fool of myself in a room full of people who were all dressed much nicer than me and sipping on martinis consisting of unearthly neon colors. But none of that mattered, because I was having a blast.

 see also; CES 2015: Samsung Reveals Incredible Avengers Tech

While seated on the second floor of a massive laboratory/hangar, I could look over the railing and see the iconic Quinjet just chilling down on the launch pad. When I swiveled around to the left, I spotted Captain America’s shield and Hawkeye’s bow propped up against a wall. To my other left, a high-tech computer monitor which was playing scenes from the original Avenger’s film.
Many of the important objects in the environment had small nodes that could be activated by placing it in your view and tapping a button on the right-hand side of the headset. A digital display would then pop up (think what Tony Stark sees when he’s inside of his suit) that relayed information about said character/object/event.
The demo was definitely pretty short, and not something I’m going to spend hours upon hours toying around with, but it really got me thinking about what I want from VR in the coming years. Honestly, I don’t imagine myself playing a 10-hour shooter campaign with a helmet strapped to my face. I don’t think I want to play a 3D platformer where I have to physically move my head and neck in order to manipulate the camera. Instead, I want to see more experiences like this one.
Imagine calm, thoughtful recreations of iconic settings throughout both fiction, as well as reality. We all know what certain parts of the Millennium Falcon look like, but how great would it be to have a fully interactive layout of the ship that you can meander around? How about King’s Landing? Or the Hogwarts? Or most importantly, a 1:1 recreation of Gullah Gullah Island?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates